CBD Oil May Help with Insomnia
What Is Insomnia?
More people are turning to CBD Oil to help with sleep. Insomnia is the number one sleep issue and can be defined as a sleep disorder that is characterized by a) increased time it takes to fall asleep, or b) short duration and poor quality sleep. Insomnia comes in 3 different types acute, transient, and chronic, and can often be attributed to one or more of the following:
- A combination of the individual’s biological and psychological factors
- External factors such as environmental conditions.
Some common causes of insomnia and sleep issues include stress, anxiety, and depression. Chronic pain, health issues, and certain medicines may also be underlying reasons.
What Is CBD Oil?
CBD oil is made from the cannabis Sativa L plant (also known as the hemp plant) containing low to no psychoactive ingredients commonly found in marijuana, such as THC. This means it won’t produce the high feeling and is non addictive.
CBD is marketed for its ability to help people sleep better. It has sedative properties that naturally occur when CBD oil is ingested by inhibiting body systems, and promoting a sense of calmness and tranquility.
Cannabidiol, or CBD for short, is a non-psychoactive cannabis compound that has become increasingly popular in recent years. But what does it do? And how can you use CBD oil to help with insomnia?
How CBD Helps With Sleep
The benefits of taking CBD oil comes from two main actions CBD does in the body when ingested:
- CBD binds to receptors in our body (the endocannabinoid system) and
- CBD blocks the brain’s production of a chemical called adenosine
How Can CBD Potentially Help With Insomnia?
- One way CBD can help with insomnia is through the way CBD blocks the brain’s production of adenosine, which inhibits sleep. This effect is helpful for people who are having trouble falling asleep and staying asleep at night.
- Another way CBD is thought to help with poor sleep is through how CBD binds to the brain’s receptors affecting serotonin and catecholamines. This binding process results in less anxiety about your surroundings or what is going on in your life, which may be causing your insomnia.
- CBD oil can help with insomnia because it has what experts call “a soothing effect.” When you take CBD for sleep, the calming and relaxing properties will reduce your body’s stress levels (including cortisol levels) and stimulate serotonin production in your brain resulting in a better night’s sleep. Serotonin is a chemical precursor to melatonin, the primary hormone involved in sleep. Your body needs serotonin from your pineal gland to produce melatonin. For this reason, we believe a high-quality CBD oil will not need to be blended with melatonin to provide benefits.
- CBD oil is also known to be an anti-inflammatory. CBD has been shown to reduce pain and inflammation both centrally and peripherally – meaning all over your body – as opposed to other medications that work on just one area of inflammation. As such, it can help with any inflammation in the body that may prevent you from sleeping well.
Best CBD Oil for Insomnia
There are many different CBD oil products available for sleep. It is essential to do your research and buy from a reputable source. If you prefer to get your CBD from an organic source, check out the large selection from NaturesGemCBD.com. It’s one of the most trusted companies providing high-grade CBD oil with varying concentrations. Known for their knowledge and excellent customer service, give them a shout. If you need some help, give them a shout. Psst….they also offer a discount on your first order if you sign up on the mailing list, and they won’t spam you either.
How Much CBD Oil To Take For Sleep?
How much CBD oil to take for insomnia and sleep issues differs for everyone. What dosage works for someone you know may not be the correct dose for you, so it is essential to find your ideal amount.
Generally, the suggested CBD oil dosage for sleep ranges from 25-60 mg before bedtime and again if needed if you wake up and can’t fall back asleep.
Don’t be afraid to play around with dosage; we encourage it. How much CBD for insomnia one night may not be what you need a different night. For example, let’s say you are struggling to fall asleep because you are anxious. You may need to take more CBD oil, say two full droppers, to take effect. The next night you are not so wound up, so you may only need to take ½ dropper. The following night you naturally are tired, so you may not need any CBD oil. It’s okay to vary your dosage depending on how you feel that day.
How to take CBD oil
CBD oil is measured via a dropper that should come with the bottle. Once the oil is measured in the dropper, it is squeezed out under the tongue. The oil is held under the tongue for 30-90 seconds and any remaining oil is then swallowed. You should feel a calming tranquilness within 40 minutes if not sooner.
In addition to CBD oil may we suggest some other tips to help your insomnia?
- Turning off ALL electronics – cell phone, tv, laptop, ipad, game console, etc. Seriously – between the games, dings, bells, whistles, calls, texts, pings, and light illuminated from them, it’s a wonder we don’t sleep well when they are on and we are trying to wind it down for the night. Turn on the Do Not Disturb feature in your phone. If you are worried about missing an important call, add them to your emergency contact feature, and ignore everyone else!
- Don’t eat before bed and cut out the midnight snacks. The body is meant to rest and recharge. If it’s busy digesting, it’s not resting.
- Limit alcohol, especially before bed. Although a beverage before bed can help you unwind and make you drowsy, it’s 99.9% guaranteed to wake you up a few hours later.
- If your mind is still busy – write down what it’s thinking and get it out of your head.
- Relax your body and mind by taking deep breaths. Inhale to the count of 5, hold it for 5 seconds and slowly exhale to the count of 10. Do this until you feel relaxed.
Final Thoughts on the benefits of CBD for sleep
Sleeping is not overrated. In fact, it’s essential for the body to properly function. Consistent lack of sleep can lead to more issues and health problems if not addressed.
CBD may help you fall asleep faster, stay asleep longer and experience an increase in REM(Rapid Eye Movement) sleep cycles.
There are many things that can keep you awake at night. For example, anxiety can disrupt your ability to sleep soundly because of worries that come into your mind while trying to rest. CBD has anti-anxiety properties so it can help alleviate the worries you have and lead to a relaxing night of sleep.
We are not health professionals and are not here to dispense medical advice. Our mission is to provide education when it comes to using CBD. We recommend contacting your doctor or health care provider, before using any CBD products, especially if you are on prescription medication.
When comparing CBD products, read the labels closely and buy from a reputable company. The CBD industry currently is not regulated. Some manufacturers use a low grade CBD oil and blend it with melatonin. As noted above, a good CBD oil, in our opinion, does not need melatonin added to it. Make sure you know what you are paying for, CBD or melatonin.
Make sure the company has lab results! A reputable company like Nature’s Gem CBD, has lab results for their products verifying the amount of CBD in the product. Lab results should also indicate what other cannabinoids, such as THC, may be in the product. Note, Nature’s Gem CBD Oils contain no THC, as verified on their lab results page.
Lastly, be your own health advocate. No one knows your body better than you. Knowledge is power.
For more articles, please visit our blog page.