5 Tips Using CBD Oil For Anxious Dogs
Dogs are our best friends. They make use smile, laugh and love unconditionally. There is nothing more difficult for a pet parent than watching your BFF struggle with canine anxiety or stress.
Canine Anxiety or stress can be a result of several factors, such as:
- Genetics, where certain breeds are more prone to anxiety.
- Anxiety-related disorders such as PTSD from a traumatic experience such as abuse or neglect.
- Changes in their environment or stressful events, such as moving to a new home, strangers, or adding a new family member.
- A lack of socialization or routine and structure in their daily lives.
- Separation anxiety from the pet parent.
- Loud noises, fireworks, and thunderstorms.
- Aging. What never bothered a dog in the early years
CBD oils for dogs have become one of the most popular products to reduce canine anxiety. If you are considering CBD oil for your dog, here are five tips to help you find the right one for your pet.
1. What is CBD?
CBD, which stands for cannabidiol, is a naturally occurring compound found in the hemp plant that has been found to have many therapeutic benefits for dogs. It is an active ingredient that interacts with our pets’ endocannabinoid system, which helps regulate various body functions such as mood, appetite, and stress levels.
2. Selecting A CBD Pet Oil
When looking for CBD oil for dogs, choose a product specifically formulated for pets. Human-grade CBD oil could contain ingredients or other cannabinoids (see full spectrum below), such as THC, CBG, CBN, etc., that may be toxic to animals, so it is essential to be cautious when selecting a product.
Numerous CBD oil products are currently on the market specifically designed for pets. The most common CBD oil types are divided into two categories: isolate CBD and full spectrum CBD.
- Isolate CBD oils consist solely of cannabidiol (CBD) without THC or other cannabinoids.
- Full-spectrum CBD oils consist of CBD, THC, and other cannabinoids (parts of the plant). THC is the part of the hemp plant that generates psychoactive effects, resulting in a sensation of being “high.” Certain dogs may react adversely to cannabis-derived pet products containing THC or other cannabinoids.
Using a THC Free CBD Oil is in your dog’s best interest and health, especially if it has other health-related issues. Nature’s Gem Pet CBD Oil contains only CBD and organic fractionated coconut oil, making it safe for your pet while effectively addressing symptoms of stress and anxiety in dogs without the potential side effects associated with THC or other harmful ingredients.
3. Start With A Small Dosage
When giving your furry companion CBD oil, start small and work up. Begin with the smallest recommended dose and gradually increase the amount until you see a noticeable improvement in your pet’s behavior. We recommend waiting at least an hour before increasing the CBD dose to your dog.
It is important to note that choosing the correct dosage depends on the size of your pet. For example, a small dog may need 1/4th of a dropper of CBD oil, while larger dogs may need 3/4th of a dropper, depending on the oil’s strength.
4. Giving Your Dog CBD Oil
Getting your dog to take CBD oil can be a challenge, but there are a few strategies you can try.
- First, you can mix CBD oil with a small amount of their favorite treat or food. This can help mask the taste and make it more appealing to your dog. As explained below, an oral dose may provide faster results if your dog is under active stress.
- Another option is using a dropper or syringe to administer a single CBD oil dose directly into your dog’s mouth. Start with a small amount and observe your dog’s reaction. If they seem resistant, you can try placing the oil in your hand for them to lick.
- Nature’s Gem CBD Pet Oil has a guide for their 500 mg pet oil you can find here. It’s important to remember that not all pet CBD oils are alike and Nature’s Gem Pet oil has only CBD and no other potentially harmful cannabinoids (such as THC)
5. Buy From Trusted Retailer
There are several reasons why it is important to buy CBD from a trusted retailer:
1. Quality Assurance: Trusted retailers typically source their CBD products from reputable manufacturers who adhere to strict quality control standards. This ensures that you get a high-quality product that is safe for consumption.
2. Product Safety: Trusted retailers often have their CBD products tested by a third-party lab to check for harmful contaminants such as pesticides, heavy metals, or residual solvents. This ensures that the CBD you are purchasing is free from potentially harmful substances.
3. Accurate Labeling: Reputable CBD retailers provide accurate and transparent labeling, including the CBD content, THC levels (if applicable), and other important information. This allows you to make an informed decision about the product you purchase for your dog.
4. Customer Support: Trusted retailers often have knowledgeable staff who can provide guidance and answer any questions or concerns you may have about CBD products. They can help you choose the right product and provide proper usage and dosage information.
5. Legal Compliance: Buying CBD from a trusted retailer ensures you purchase products that comply with local laws and regulations. This is especially important as CBD regulations can vary from one jurisdiction to another.
By purchasing CBD from a trusted retailer, you can have confidence in your product’s quality, safety, and legality, ultimately providing you with a better overall experience.
Using CBD oil for anxious dogs can be a great way to help reduce your dog’s stress and anxiety, as long as you do your homework. Start with the smallest recommended dose, give it time to take effect, and gradually increase the amount if necessary. Be sure to buy from a trusted retailer to have peace of mind knowing you are giving your dog a safe product that meets local laws.